Sunday, February 12, 2012

Chicken and rice soup

My husband and I both have a cold so it was time to make hot chicken soup. We usually buy it but I decided to make it and test out my roasted-garlic infused broth.


Ingredients:
  • 2 medium to large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 3 large shallots, peeled and chopped fine (a large onion also works)
  • 3 medium carrots, trimmed, peeled and chopped up
  • 3 stalks celery, trimmed and chopped up
  • 1 cup white parboiled rice (20 minute cooking time, tops)
  • 2 cartons sodium-reduced chicken broth, infused with roasted garlic
  • 3 tbsp dried summer savory
  • 1-2 tbsp dried oregano

Directions:
Roast the two chicken breasts in a 400 degree oven for 35-40 minutes then chop up fine. Meanwhile, heat up a Dutch oven pot on medium heat and add the chopped shallots (or onions), celery and carrots. Add a little bit of hot water, if necessary, to keep it from burning on. Stir and let soften. Add rice and broth then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes. Add chicken then you are done! Add salt and pepper at the end if needed, although it was so good that we didn't add any.


This makes 7 servings.

Notes:
  • The next time that I make this, I will be doubling the garlic that was in the broth. This recipe was very good but I want the strong stuff for when we are sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment