Sunday, March 18, 2012

Orange Creamsicle Fruit Dip

Have you ever had an insatiable craving for a creamsicle? It's become a popular flavor these days and I decided to try it out as a fruit dip with Greek yogurt, honey and a few tasty orange-y ingredients! It was a wild success with my husband and myself!

 (Sorry about the picture! I didn't think that I was going to take one until I took a bite)

Ingredients:
  • 2/3 cup light or fat-free sour cream
  • 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (the real stuff, not the "Greek-style")
  • 2-3 tablespoons orange marmalade, low sugar
  • 1 tbsp orange juice concentrate (I used Minute Maid's Low Acid variety)
  • 1/2 tsp orange blossom water
  • 1 tsp creamy honey (or, to taste)
Directions: combine all ingredients in a dish and stir together well. Serve with varied fruit like kiwi, banana, apple, strawberry, oranges or berries.

Serves 4 with 1 cup of fruit on the side.


Nutritional information (from Lose It!) for 1 serving of dip: 112 calories, 2g fat (1.3g saturated), 10.4 mg cholesterol, 71.8 mg sodium, 17.6g carbs (0.2g fiber, 12.5 g sugars), 5.9g protein.

Notes:
  • Orange Blossom water is available in the specialty section of grocery stores or Middle Eastern food stores. It's extremely powerful stuff though so note that if you want to experiment with it!
  • I just made this up on the fly. I had no idea that it would be so good! As a matter of fact, the measurements provided are for all that I had left of the sour cream and the Greek yogurt. I just wanted wanted to use them up.
  • Real Greek yogurt has around 18g protein for a 3/4 cup serving. I use the PC Greek yogurt brand, available here in Canada.
Ideas:
  • This would be seriously fantastic with some crushed, canned mandarins and a little of the juice instead of the marmalade and orange blossom water. 
  • Another great idea is to replace the sour cream with plain kefir. As a matter of fact, that just might be my next combination. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment