Saturday, January 28, 2012

Purple Chenille Cowl

This is one very cool loopy cowl! I was inspired by the Autumn cowl on Ravelry and this pattern isn't really much different.


Yarn: 2 balls purple chenille yarn (I got mine in a 1lb Factory Ends package from Zellars)
Needle: US 15 (10.0 mm)


 Pattern:

Using two strands of yarn, one from each ball, cast on 25 stitches. Knit (as in, garter stitch) until the piece measures 50 inches long. Bind off. Sew up the two end seams with scrap yarn and a wide knitting needle. Weave in any ends.


Notes:
  • I have no idea of the care instructions for this yarn. I will note though that I will only hand wash this cowl and never put it in the washer or dryer.
  • I found that the yarn tended to get tangled or pulled so I just included that in the fabric. No one will notice a knot or tangle and since the yarn was insisting on doing that anyways, I just went with it.
  • This yarn drove me a little nuts as it would break whenever I pulled on it too hard then I had to weave in ends all of the time. So, I unravelled (gently) as I knit to avoid breakage and that seemed to work. 
  • Another yarn note: it's flimsy. The product doesn't not hold shape like cotton or wool, so it can stretch in any direction. That is perfectly fine though as this is only a cowl.
Ideas:
  • With the leftover yarn, I am pondering making one of these options: an earwarmer, a hat, wristlets or a glasses case. Stay tuned to see how I use up the last of this stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment