Monday, August 29, 2011

Everyday dishcloth knitting pattern

When I learned how to knit, I started off with dishcloths because they were so easy. This is the pattern that I have been making for months. I should note that this isn't my pattern, I found it on Ravelry. I can't remember which one it is though so I do not claim that it is mine.

Needle size: US9
Yarn (recommended): Bernat Handicrafter Yarn

Terms:
WS - wrong side
RS - right side


Cast on 40 stitches. Knit 6 rows (finishing on the RS). Start the dishcloth pattern:

Row 1 (WS): Knit 4, purl 32, knit 4.
Row 2 (RS): Knit.
Repeat from row 1 24 more times (finishing on the RS).

Knit for 5 more rows, finishing on the WS. Bind off.

If you are learning how to knit, these are the basic skills that you need to learn for this pattern:
  • How to cast on
  • How to knit
  • How to purl
  • How to bind off
All of these skills are available on YouTube. That's how I learned.

Estimated time for this project: about 2 hours. I did it on the bus for 30 minutes at a time and it took me a little more than 2 days to finish it.

Notes:
  • Try different kinds of worsted yarn.
  • I found that US8 needles worked but after a few washes, the dishcloths were very tight. 
Ideas:
  • I'm going to try this pattern with white yarn and crochet yarn to create a cool, variegated effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment