Saturday, September 3, 2011

How to make a Stylish Slipcover out of a Shower Curtain, part 2

So here is the sewing part of the slipcover adventure.

For half of the project, you will need a sewing machine, matching thread, a seam ripper, pins and scissors.

Starting with the large piece, look for the raw edges that would be shown. There should be two cut edges that need to be hemmed. Take both of these edges, fold them down and pin. I folded about 1 inch per edge and sewed the fabric down with a zipper-stitch to avoid fraying later.


I was really lucky that I could use the edges that were already sewn down so that saved time.

Next, time to pin the sides to the larger piece. I sat down in front of the ottoman to do this. Make sure that the fabric is on the wrong side so you should see the serged edges. Start by pinning one side of the side piece to the long piece.


(Not the best picture, I know). So, once one side has been pinned up to the top, I started with the other one. I made sure that the seams lined up at the bottom and then I pinned. What really helped was pulling the fabric taut at the top and adding a pin to keep the fabric in place so that it didn't fall all over the place. Now I arrived at two pinned sides:


I had extra fabric at the top so I had to pin the top to the side with the extra that I would trim later. I followed the already serged edge of the top piece and added my pins there so that it would be even all the way around. I pinned the corners in a curve until I arrived at this:


I sewed the side pieces to the top piece with a sewing machine, again following the natural line of the basketweave texture to keep a straight line. On the corners, I moved the fabric slowly and kept the needle in the fabric to create a curve. Once the two pieces were sewn together, I trimmed off the edges with scissors. Lastly, I sewed the cut edge of the side piece to the edge of the top piece with the zipper-stitch to avoid fraying in the future.

To be sure, I tested the new sewn end on the ottoman but everything was fine. I now did the same procedure with the other side piece. Keep it on the wrong side, pin up slowly and make sure that the fabric is taut but not pulling to avoid lines that stray to either side. I sewed down the second piece, trimmed the excess and then zipper-stitched the cut edges down.

Voila! Here is the end product!


And another one:





Estimated time for part 2 of this project: 1 hour. Unless you are like me and you sew down the side pieces before finishing hemming the sides. It took me about 2 hours because I had to use the seam ripper twice.

Notes:

  • When pinning the sides together, make sure that the bottom edges touch each other on both sides. If you don't do this from the start, you may end up with a side that touches the seams on one side, but not on the other. That is why I recommend pinning one side then the other side instead of going all the way around. Do the top edge at the end. 
  • Once I was sewing the two sides together, it was rather thick for my sewing machine but it still worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment