Saturday, December 17, 2011

Guilt-free Rewards for a Job Well Done

One of my problems with it comes to weight loss is struggling with the idea of rewarding myself for a job well done. It could be that I finally finished a long, arduous project or that I finally did 4 workouts this week. The first thing that I think is: I should reward myself, time for a Coke. Or, a chocolate bar. Or ice cream. 
Well, that just damaged the good chore that I finished. So, I took some time to make a list of guilt-free rewards to give myself for a job well done. I know I am not the only person thinking about this so I will share it with you.

Some of these options require finances but some are also free. What you could do is while you are working towards a goal, decide on the reward that you want to give yourself. Then put aside money for it while you are working towards the goal. For example, as a reward to myself for finishing a large project at work I can save money on the side to get my hair done at the salon. Once the goal is reached, then I can go for a morning of pampering and not worry about the finances.
  • A long bubble bath with a yummy scent and candles, perhaps my favorite music in the background
  • A mug of steaming hot apple cider or a hot chocolate with marshmellows (the diet kind)
  • One uninterrupted evening of doing an activity that I secretly love (like writing)
  • Talking on the phone with a best friend or on Skype
  • Throw a party with all of your friends -- perhaps a pot luck, movie night, etc.
  • One uninterrupted evening (or afternoon) of starting and finishing a project
  • Watching a new movie at home. This could mean renting it then giving it the full new movie treatment (for me, this is turning out the lights, stopping all projects and just watching a new movie). 
  • Going out to the theatre to see a new movie with friends (or with my husband)
  • Have a nice meal at a new restaurant
  • One uninterrupted evening of browsing my favorite websites
  • Buying and reading a new magazine
  • One evening of planning an upcoming event (like Christmas) and planning all of the items that I want to make to decorate the house or give as gifts
  • If it's summer, one afternoon sitting and tanning under the sun with a nice book or great music
  • Signing up for a class in a topic that I want to learn about (like yoga, knitting, or a language of choice)
  • Crossing an activity off of the bucket list (skydiving, rockclimbing, running a 5K, etc.)
  • Digging out the old "To Do" list and tackling one of the older ones that you've always said will never get done (ex. organizing the filing cabinet). 
  • Reading a new book (or, one of your old favorites)
  • Take on a new knitting project or spend an evening knitting
  • Take the dog out for a walk in a new area (or put on rollerblades and run with the dog) or to the park
  • Learn a new hobby from a friend (or teach a friend how to do one of your hobbies, if they are interested)
  • Have a game evening on the Wii, Xbox or whatever you have with the family. See who will win. 
  • Return to a hobby that you love but haven't done for a long time (for me, that would be genealogy or cross-stitching)
  • Try a new recipe out of a magazine for supper
  • Spend an afternoon at the local bookstore -- not buying anything -- but sitting with a coffee, paging through some books to see what is new and checking out the ones that you've always wanted. 
  • Spend a lazy afternoon on the couch doing a hobby, snuggling with the kids and the pets
  • Watch a movie that was your childhood favorite (perhaps even introduce it to your kids or your husband)
  • Trying something new with your significant other (I don't think that I need to elaborate on this one)
  • Go for a massage or spa treatment. 
  • If you are a woman, try a new makeover on yourself or go and get one at Sephora or another store with that option. 
  • Go to bed early or sleep in. Get your significant other involved in this to make sure that you are able to sleep in (or go to bed early) without any distractions. 
  • Spend an evening researching a topic that interests you but you've never had time to think about it (like a historical event, a famous person, etc.)
  • Get your hair done with color, highlights or a perm. Ask for the full treatment with the scalp massage and special conditioners that most salons do for free and enjoy the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment