- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 3-4 carrots, peeled, halved and chopped (ends cut off)
- 4-5 ribs of celery, washed, halved and chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, washed, quartered and chopped (ends cut off)
- 2 900 mL cartons sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes (I use Unico, no salt added)
- 1 454g bag cheese-stuffed tortellini, dethawed
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano leaves
Saute the onions in a Dutch oven pot (or a large soup pot) over medium-high heat, adding a little chicken broth whenever necessary to prevent the onions from burning. Once onions have softened, add carrots and celery. Saute, adding broth, for another 5-7 minutes to soften. Add zucchini, chicken broth and diced tomatoes then bring to a boil. Add tortellini then reduce to medium. Add chili powder and oregano then stir. Let cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste before adding salt. Serve. Makes 8 servings.
Total time: 10 minutes to chop vegetables, 20 minutes to cook
- This is a great way to use up carrots and celery before going grocery shopping.
- I bet this would be good with beef tortellini too.
- Other vegetables to try are artichokes, broccoli, peas, corn, mushrooms, red or green peppers.
- Other add-ins could include pesto, chopped sun-dried tomatoes or Parmesan cheese.