- 1 (398 mL or 14 oz) can pure maple syrup, grade B or "the dark amber stuff"
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tbsp butter (not margarine)
- candy thermometer
- candy molds
- vegetable oil spray
- A good pot like a Dutch oven
- smaller container with a spout (like a creamer)
- large plastic freezer bags
Let cool on the counter for about 15 minutes then tap the back to pop the hard candy out of the molds and into a large resealable freezer bag. Eat or store in the freezer for between three to six months.
Note: These are the hard, clear amber candies that you suck on. For the creamy maple candy, try this recipe.